Everything you want to know.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Japanese Food Review 3: Luxurious Vanilla Potato Chips

The top of the package reads, "Potato Chips Zeitaku Vanilla," and zeitaku means luxury or extravagance. The company Calbee makes, in my humble opinion, the best potato chips in Japan. Again, they experiment with new flavors all of the time. These chips are designed for the summer. Calbee suggests that you cool them in the refrigerator before eating (which I did). This flavor combination seemed like a horrible idea to me. Pouring vanilla ice cream over potato chips doesn't sound all that extravagant. It's more the type of thing I would expect a child with a learning disability to do, but I trust the fine workers at the Calbee plant.

My first thought upon biting into a chip was that they are surprisingly edible. They did a fairly good job matching the sweet and salty flavors. I think I was expecting more vanilla. Cooling the chips actually seemed to help. Girlbot only got through half a chip. The ratings...

gaybot-4
girlbot-0
overall-2

I would say that if you like sweet and salty treats, you should try these out. Otherwise you can skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment