Everything you want to know.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Katchin Candy Festival

Today was かっちん玉祭 (Katchin Ball Festival) at Rokusho Shrine in Nagoya. Katchin ball candy is a lucky candy made only for this festival.
It's just hard candy wrapped around a bamboo stick, but it is said to help you have a safe childbirth, to raise children, and, for safe measure, to ward off evil. I think it can also help your kid get diabetes. The small ones are only 200 yen, but if you want to go really crazy, you can spend 1000 yen on the big ones. The candy is said to look like an umbilical cord, so think about that while you're sucking on it.

2 comments:

  1. Dandy6:38 AM

    It's sort of hard to tell, I guess, but it seems like the big ones would be a tremendous deal at 1000 yen, right? At least they look more than 5 times the size of the little ones.

    Girlbot put hers up on Facebook, and it looked like she bought the small one. I won't say that that was a mistake, but there was a smarter buy just a few inches away. I mean, I assume y'all want to eat as much of this candy as you can afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the big ones were probably ten times larger, so she was completely ripped off. On the other hand, the next stand over was selling beer and sake, so you have to work that into your budget. I mean, I like hard candy, but I love hard candy that's been dipped in beer.

      Delete