Everything you want to know.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Juice=Juice -- Don't be spiteful, but embrace me


I've been getting so much mail asking me what Juice=Juice is up to, and I always give the same answer, "Juice=Juice is just being Juice=Juice." I've recently received a few violent threats, so today I'll be giving a more concrete answer. One of the girls' newest songs is entitled Don't be spiteful, but embrace me in English. This is a horrible translation. It should be something like, "Don't be mean. Hold me." Anyway, it marks something of a change in direction for the gals. You'll remember that in their first single Hug me before I ask you to they wore socks symbolizing which type of fruit they were. That seems to be a thing of the past. Perhaps the group hasn't been as successful as they were hoping, but the music and their overall style are different as well. I can't really describe it. It's kind of like if a guy was having trouble getting girls to notice him and then decided to take up tap dancing.

Again, there are some questionable lyrics. Some of the members are still in junior high, and they were made to sing:

Hey, what do you like about me.
Hey, touch me.

Maybe those don't sound so bad, but the first line could be translated, "What part of me do you like?" (this could be a physical part or not) and the second line could more accurately be, "Touch me and see." If the girls were writing their own music that would be one thing, but Tsunku (a 45-year-old man) wrote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment